March Cake Decorator of the Month!
- Our March Cake Decorator of the month
- Elias Gutierrez - Founder @saltyqueencakes
- What did you have for breakfast this morning? Bacon, Eggs and Crispy Hash browns
- How long have you been Cake Decorating for? 6 Years
- Why did you choose Cake Decorating? It is a hobby, something to help me destress from my day job!
- In times of doubt, what do you do to get back into your creative zone? I recently took a month off from baking just to recharge myself and it truly helped. I was able to come back and feel energized with a clear rested mindset so I could collaborate better with my clients and help bring their ideas to life. Going from a full time day job and baking in the evenings can be a lot on the body, so rest is always needed to get back into the zone.
Where did you learn your Cake Decorating skills? The first sculpted cake I made was from a YouTube tutorial on how to make a bowl of cereal with a floating spoon.
What is your typical day like, what does it entail? I’m a full time wedding dress designer. If I’m not on set at a photo shoot or working at a bridal market; a typical day is from 9 - 6 sketching new collections and answering emails. I bake in the evenings after work and on weekends. Usually crawling into bed around 1 - 3am and starting all over again!
- We know Edible Art Paint is a medium you use, what do you love about it? I come from a fine art background and love that I was able to find a product that was edible that acts just like the paints I use to use!
- What is your #1 piece of advice for the newbies in Cake Decorating? So cliché, but “practice makes perfect”…I’ve learnt a lot from fellow cake artists on internal structures, painting techniques, etc. The more you do, the better you will get!!
- Who is your inspiration in the Cake Decorating world - name three (TAG THEM) Three of my favs are: @sideserfcakes @astashkinacakes @inspiredtotaste !
- What is your favourite Sweet Sticks product and colour? Oscar De La Renta, Dior and Naeem Khan.